Monday, September 12, 2011

We made it!

I'm home! I have been for two days. Everything's so amazing I don't know where to begin. 

I suppose we could start with driving on the road to camp...
Being on the first familiar road (to me) in two months put a sweet feeling in me. I was almost to a place I knew. A place I consider a second home. Camp Wilderness. The trees lining the road, the mountains all around, wildflowers growing beautifully, the curves getting me closer and closer to camp, and the clouds hovering over us made me feel happy. I was almost there!

On the road to camp I was thinking of how funny it would be if we broke down. Yeah, hilarious. I would have cried. And walked. I'm not kidding. I know the way. I was seriously going to walk if Foxy broke down again. Fortunately Foxy kept chugging along into camp. Then we made it to the entrance...I knew we were going to make it. 

Finally we pulled up. I got out with some of the others. It was raining. It was beautiful. I couldn't wait to get everything ready and shower and sleep and see my mom as soon as she'd arrive. I made my way to the bathroom with Leah and exclaimed, "my first familiar toilet in two months!"...I have this weird bathroom thing. I like familiar places. Don't judge.

Anyway, we were unpacking all of our luggage and stuff from the motor home and into a tent. I was waiting patiently for my mom...I knew she'd be there in an hour or so after I arrived. 

Of course, since she's Brenda, she took longer than that. So I was just sitting there. Waiting. Anxious for our blue van to pull into camp. 

Finally after what seemed like hours I saw it. Leah and I walked up to it (we didn't run because 1.) high elevation causes embarrassment after running, 2.) we would have died if it wasn't her) and figured out it certainly was my mom and I hopped in. Leah hopped in the back. 

I was psyched! We hugged and said hi and stuff then unpacked our junk. Ooh fun, right? The fun part was when we pulled in front of the cabin and my mom said, "this bag is for you!"...I was like, "oooooooohhhh". 

Turns out my mom got me a bunch of clothes, a straightner, and these cute bag things. I was happy. I am happy. 

Then the week of camp went by surprisingly smooth. I mean I at least took every rough thing smoothly. I wanted to have a good time and I didn't want anything getting in the way of that. So I had a good time. 

***

Two days ago I got home. Coming in my house I was expecting to immediately start laundry and clean up everything. Then I opened my bedroom door. 

And guess what was there...

RED WALLS. NEW BED LINENS. NEW PICTURES. OLD PICTURES. MY PAINTING. NEW DECORATIONS. ALL KINDS OF EPIC THINGS.

I kinda screamed and my eyes got real big. I think I had a heart attack. My room is exactly how I want it. EXACTLY. (Kudos to everyone--including my nieces--for keeping that one a secret).

***

So the first night back home I cried. I miss being around everyone I was with. Even if at camp I didn't really hang out with them I still saw them every single day. Plus, every night for two and a half months Leah and I slept in the same room or place and talked about every little thing that happened that day. 

Leah wasn't there though. She was in Heber. She is in Heber. I cried really hard. I needed to talk to her and she was at her new house. It hit me like a forcefully thrown brick. 

***

Now that I'm back home I'm ready to jump into a new normal. I'm ready to make things work, try new things, and do some old things. Let's do this! 

Don't forget to keep up with regular life on my blog lifeofashort.blogspot.com 

Thank you readers! I'll post more pictures from the end of the trip as soon as possible...look forward to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment